The Thracian God of Sun - Private Day Tour
From time immemorial the ancient Thracians which used to inhabit our lands were worshiping the God of Sun. This is one of the reasons they used to settle on a big and high rock with a suitable position from where they could observe the sunrise every morning.
In order to get to feel what they were feeling and to touch the magic of this place, we’ll meet the sunrise with a gift to the Gods, just like the ancient Thracians used to do!
The rock's name is Perperikon. It is a huge rock massif in eastern Rhodope mountain which is believed to exist since 8000 years ago (the rock). Perperikon is a symbol of one of the most ancient cultures who used to live on these lands.
Our next stop will be another magical spot which was also created by the Thracians and served as a place to worship their God of Sun. There, high in the mountain, close to the Sun’s rays is situated the Tatul Thracian sanctuary.
Come! Feel the spirit of the God of Sun and the ancient Thracian culture!
per adult from
What's included :
- Transport in a modern vehicle (car/minibus) with air conditioning
- Visit the Archaeological Complex of Perperikon
- Visit the Thracian sanctuary at Tatul Village
- Visit the Stone mushrooms
- Entrance fees for Perperikon and Tatul
- Participation in a Thracian ritual of giving a gift to the God of Sun
- An English speaking tripvam driver – guide
What's excluded :
- Gratuities (optional)
- Insurance (optional)
- Food and beverages
- Personal expenditures
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Plovdiv Old Town, Plovdiv 4000 Bulgaria
Our adventure starts early in the morning when we’ll pick you up from your hotel.
The time of departure depends on the time of the year, but no matter when the sun rises we depart about 2.5 hours before the sunrise.
We leave for the rock city of Perperikon which is situated 1.5 hours drive from Plovdiv. We’ll hike to the top of the sanctuary and meet the sunrise from there while giving our symbolic gift to the God of Sun.
We’ll learn a lot about the Thracian’s beliefs and their cult towards the Sun.
We’ll also learn about the history of this magnetic place with special kind of energy around it. Afterward, we depart for Tatul village and the Thracian sanctuary which is situated there.
For an end of our tour, we’ll visit a place which the locals say that visited makes you look younger. Prepare for mushrooms which are taller than you! Those are the stone mushrooms which are more than 20 million years old!
Tour duration: 8 hours.
This tour is dedicated to the Thracian culture and beliefs. It is including a ritual of meeting the sunrise from the Thracian sanctuary. If you want to visit those places in a different and more convenient for your time of the day, please let us know in advance when you’re making your booking!
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Wherever you are staying at
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.