Total San Jose Tour: Bites and Sights Including Columbian Gold Museum Visit
Discover the culture of both contemporary and pre-Columbian Costa Rican life on this San Jose walking tour. You’ll wander through busy streets, bustling markets, tranquil parks and a museum of gold as you learn straight from locals about community, culture, cuisine and more.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and drink samples
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
- Make the most of your day in San Jose! This tour takes our usual Bites & Sights Tour and combines it with a trip to a pre-Columbian Gold Museum for the ultimate Costa Rican cultural experience.
Get your cameras ready because you don’t want to miss a single moment of this colourful local experience. On this San Jose tour, you’ll get up close and personal with Costa Rican life, through local food, history and even the herbal remedies of folk medicine. Enjoy a hands-on lesson on exotic plants, fruits, vegetables and the smoothies they can create in the midst of the vibrant city markets. Nothing could get you closer to authentic San Jose than strolling through the streets with a local as they show you the ins and outs of daily life. Take a wander through the city with us on this tour that takes typical San Jose and turns it into a local experience you’ll never forget.
Your San Jose tour starts with a morning pick-me-up cup of coffee in a café located in the Borbons market, where you’ll get to know your guide and relax into your surroundings. From here, we’ll take a stroll through the vibrant market, tasting local fresh fruits while learning about the agricultural history of the area. We’ll visit a number of stands, from a coffee stand where we’ll learn the Costa Rican chorreado brewing method, to a local folk medicine stand where we’ll learn about curing everything from a hangover to a broken heart.
Your tour continues along local roads towards the Central Market. There’s no better place to experience local cuisine than the Central Market, a 120-year old building full to the brim with typical Costa Rican food and drink. Here you can sample local delicacies, learn about the herbs used in local medicines, or simply sip on more Costa Rican coffee. The Central Market is an experience that no visitor the San Jose should miss, and with a local guide by your side, you’ll unearth all the secrets behind this San Jose treasure.
We’ll refuel from all that exploring with a lunch stop at one of the most historic coffee shops in San Jose.
After lunch, we’ll visit a museum that’s home to some 1,600 pieces of gold artifacts, dating back to 500 CE. In Costa Rican history, gold was considered a symbol of authority, and the items in the museum display the craftsmanship of the pre-Columbian period.
By the end of your tour, you’ll be full of local knowledge, from food to culture — but if you want to see, do and eat more, be sure to ask your local guide for more tips on things to do in San Jose.
Departure Point :San José Central Market, Entre Calle 8 Y Avenida 1 Entrada Noroeste Mercado Central, Paso De La Vaca, San José, Costa Rica
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :National Theatre of Costa Rica, Teatro Nacional de Costa Rica, 1, Catedral, San José, Costa Rica
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6.
- This tour can be customised to cater to dietary restrictions. Please notify us in advance if you have any dietary needs.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- All tours follow the latest local health authority advice, including mask usage and social distancing. Urban Adventures has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which recognises companies that have adopted health and hygiene global standardised protocols.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.