Trip to Pyhä-Luosto National Park and Amethyst Mine
Experience the magnificent landscape, beautiful natural features and peace of Pyhä-Luosto National Park. Pyhä-Luosto National Park is a superb destination for day trips and short hikes throughout the year. From the trails you gain lots of nice feelings and health!
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Guidance services
- Snacks mentioned
- Organizer's liability insurance
- Safari desk support
What's excluded :
- Private tours available for additional charge
- The basic zone of the National Park is formed of Finland’s most southern fell chain. The area has many functions; it is for conserving nature, preserving indigenous people’s culture and serving as a destination for hiking and tourism.
The National Park consists of Pyhätunturi National Park which is established in 1938 and of the Luosto area northwest of Pyhätunturi Fell. These were combined at the beginning of 2005 to form a new National Park.
In southwest areas of Ukko-Luosto Fell and Lampivaara Hill forests have not been logged and some trees are as old as 400 years. The Luosto area is known for its majestic old-growth pine forests and Pyhätunturi for its geology and Sámi history. The fell chain is a collage of treeless peaks and deep ravines. Lush forests, some of them herb-rich forests, flourish in the area’s valleys and along brook banks.
The Lampivaara Amethyst Mine is a sectioned off area within Pyhä-Luosto National Park. Quartz is the most common mineral in the earth’s crust after feldspar. Amethyst a rare violet coloured see-through form of quartz has been found at Lampivaara in Luosto. The clearest parts of the amethyst found at Lampivaara are classified as a gem and is often used in jewellery. Gathering amethyst gems from the National Park is forbidden except from the Amethyst mine.On the top of Lampivaara fell there is the only operative amethyst mine in Europe. It may be the only gem mine in whole world that welcomes visitors. In warm cosy Lappish hut the mine visitors hear the fascinating stories of amethyst, how it was formed 2 000 000 millions of years ago, how the place was found and how the mine is run on permanent progress principle, how people in all cultures have believed in the mystical powers of amethyst and other interesting tales found in ancient legends.
After stories the visitors are guided to the mine and each will dig and find a personal lucky amethyst for keeps. The Little Mine Shop in Luosto recreation village provides information about the mine and has a fine selection of amethyst treasures, needful things and extraordinary objects.
Barbeque lunch is included. We will be back in town at about 17:00.
Departure Point :Lapland Welcome, Rovakatu 26, 96200 Rovaniemi, Finland
Traveler pickup is offered
We will confirm the exact pick up time upon booking.The meeting time at Lapland Welcome Safari Office (Rovakatu 26, 2nd floor, 96200 Rovaniemi) is 15 minutes before the starting time of the safari.
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at the time of booking if required
- Some walking is involved
- In winter time the trip is one hour longer (8 hours in total) and includes reaching the top of Lampivaara fell by a special snow car that can take many passengers at the same time.
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- Please contact us if you wish to have a guide in other language
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.