Turtle Nesting At Famous Playa Ostional
Ostional is one of the world’s most famous & protected turtle nesting sites. It’s a true paradise for nature lovers and became a wildlife refuge in 1984 to stop poachers steeling sea turtle eggs. It now protects 238 hectares, including 15 km of beach where thousands of turtles lay their eggs. What makes Ostional so special is the sheer number of turtles that can arrive - it’s a truly unforgettable experience!
per adult from
5 to 6 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Private transportation
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Mosquito repellant & camera
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Ostional National Wildlife Refuge, Santa Cruz Costa Rica
We’ll meet (either at your location or Pico Bistro in Tamarindo), at 2:30pm and head approximately 1.5 hours drive to beautiful Playa Ostional; one of the most important places in the world for turtle nesting and one of Costa Rica’s most famous and protected national parks.
On arriving we’ll head to the nesting grounds to see the turtles making their way out of the Pacific Ocean to the sands, where they’ll dig and lay their eggs. Watching baby turtles hatching and making their first journey to the ocean is a truly magical experience and one you won’t forget!
We’ll share information about these beautiful animals with you whilst watching the sun set and enjoying some fresh snacks, before heading back to Tamarindo.
Turtles come to nest here all year long, but the best times to see them are between July - December, when the largest arribadas or arrivals happen. During these times it is possible to see hundreds of thousands of turtles come to hatch their eggs at once!
The Olive Ridley sea turtle is the most common visitor to Ostional, but Leatherbacks and Green Pacific turtles can also be seen with some luck!
It is very important that we keep our distance and respect the turtles in their natural environment.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Pico Bistro Tamarindo, Tamarindo Main Road, Provincia de Guanacaste, Santa Cruz, 50309, Costa Rica
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Time :2:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.