Underground City of the Dead Tour
Experience the most haunted section of Edinburgh’s legendary Underground City with this award-winning guided walking tour. Known as 'Damnation Alley' and forgotten for centuries, these tunnels were once 'home' to men, women and children living in utter misery.
Experience Edinburgh's dark past as you listen to stories about what really happened beneath the city's streets and what might have stayed behind ...
• 80 minute walking tour exploring Edinburgh's underground city, led by a local expert guide.
• Choice of day or night time tour.
During very busy times of the year tours are marked SOLD OUT when places are still available, in order to avoid over-booking. Contact us if the tour you want is marked SOLD OUT in case places are available.
per adult from
1 hour 20 minutes
What's included :
- Local, expert guide
- Entry/Admission - City of the Dead Tours
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: City of the Dead Tours, Edinburgh Scotland
This tour ventures into the most haunted section of Edinburgh’s legendary Underground City, where a population once lived in utter misery. Black as Satan’s jammies, with a fascinating history to match, these vaults were forgotten for centuries and only recently unsealed.
This part of the South Bridge Vaults is known as Damnation Alley. With good reason. These dark tunnels and are stalked by a malevolent presence known as the South Bridge Entity.
Duration: 1 hour 20 minutes
Departure Point :St Giles' Cathedral, High St, Edinburgh EH1 1RE, UK
Return Detail :Niddry Street South, Niddry St S, Edinburgh, UK
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Language: English only
- Age: Minimum 12
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 5 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.