Underground Railroad motor coach excursions in Lancaster County PA
Experience historic sites while traveling the pathways of the Underground Railroad in Lancaster County across river valleys, farmland, cities and small towns. Located just north of the famed Mason-Dixon Line, Lancaster County was a magnet for freedom seekers due to its network of religiously-inspired Abolitionists, free African Americans and white sympathizers, including civil rights pioneer, US Congressman Thaddeus Stevens (1792-1868). Be inspired by a professional historian and storyteller who brings alive this little-known yet significant history from the years following the American Revolution to the outbreak of the Civil War. Gain new perspectives on social issues in America today.
per adult from
3 to 4 hours
What's included :
- Rest stops, scenic overlooks, short walks at various destinations along the tour route.
- Historical themed video can be shown on motor coach video player when available.
What's excluded :
- Motor coach expense not included in professional guide fee.
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Columbia Crossing River Trails Center, 41 Walnut Street, Columbia, PA 17512
Columbia, Lancaster County has long been recognized as a key location where many early episodes of anti-slavery and Underground Railroad activity occurred. Visitors will experience a riverfront park, now being reclaimed and revitalized, with ruins of a massive wooden covered bridge and tow path canals that were used to help freedom seekers in their flights from slavery. Three properties are recognized here by the National Park Service as having associations with the Underground Railroad Movement.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Lancaster, Lancaster, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Experience 4 sites recognized by the National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom in the historic City of Lancaster, highlighted by the Thaddeus Stevens & Lydia Hamilton Smith Historic Site (built circa 1785), an Underground Railroad safe house located in the heart of the city's Downtown area. Visitors can experience this property with a guide who was instrumental in preserving this historic property, circa 2000. Visitors will learn about the site's UGRR legacy from the mid 1800s through its restored features, its history explained through signage and interior viewing area where photographs, an archaeological dig and excavated artifacts are displayed. Other sites include the Old Lancaster County Jail, the gravesite of Thaddeus Stevens and site of the Philadelphia & Columbia Railroad, which secretly transported freedom seekers.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :1515 Lititz Pike, Lancaster, PA 17601, USA
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 7/5/2020 - 11/2/2021
Monday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Tuesday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Wednesday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Thursday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Friday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Saturday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM Sunday: 12:00 PM - 04:00 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Tour conductor will comply with current public health and safety guidelines. In Pennsylvania, masks and social distancing are required.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.