Unspoiled FRENCH BASQUE COUNTRYSIDE - Private Cultural Adeventure
Experience the magic of untouched French Basque countryside in a in-depth cultural adventure that takes you through narrow back roads, hidden medieval villages, the starting point of Camino de Santiago and the fields of small red pepper that became the queen on Parisian plates.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- High quality local snacks and a glass of wine
What's excluded :
- Food, drinks and tickets, unless specified
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Corniche Basque, Domaine d'Abbadia, 64700 Hendaye France
Depart in the morning from San Sebastian towards Hendaye, a village situated on the French border. From here we will continue along one of the most beautiful coastal roads of Basque Country to Saint Jean de Luz before heading inland towards the foothills of the Pyrenees.
Stop At: Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Basque Country, Pyrenees-Atlantiques, Nouvelle-Aquitaine
Next up, we will discover the medieval streets of fortified town of Saint Jean Pied de Port. It is the starting point of the most traditional pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela called Saint James Way or Camino de Santiago. Our historic walk wouldn’t be complete without seeing the stunning romanesque cathedral and crossing a romantic stone bridge over the river Nive to finally reach the town’s citadele built in 1628.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Saint-Etienne-de-Baigorry, Saint-Etienne-de-Baigorry, Basque Country, Pyrenees-Atlantiques, Nouvelle-Aquitaine
From Saint Jean Pied de Port we will continue along the Pyrenees to the true heart of unspoiled French Basque countryside and the village of Saint Etienne de Baigorri, home to the tannat grapes and vineyards located on extremely steep slopes with inclines of up to 60°! Here, you will enjoy a glass of this peculiar, local wine while your guide will reveal the secrets of Irulegi AOC - one of the tiniest wine region in France.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Bidarray, Bidarray, Basque Country, Pyrenees-Atlantiques, Nouvelle-Aquitaine
We will leave the vineyards behind and take a narrow, back road to follow the meanders of river Nive that will take us all the way to our next stop. Built on the top of the hill village of Bidarray with its pink sandstone romanesque church.
Duration: 15 minutes
Stop At: Espelette, Espelette, Basque Country, Pyrenees-Atlantiques, Nouvelle-Aquitaine
Then, we will continue our journey to quaint village with cobblestone streets and houses decorated with garlands of red peppers. That’s right! We have just arrived to Espelette! This blindingly colorful town has gained fame for these small chilies that were brought from South America in 16th century and has gradually replaced black pepper in the Basque cuisine. Armed with the knowledge about Piment d'Espelette we will get to try some of the local specialities and the pepper itself!
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Ainhoa, Ainhoa, Basque Country, Pyrenees-Atlantiques, Nouvelle-Aquitaine
Last but not least, we will drive to Ainhoa - considered one of the most stunning villages in France! We will wander down the streets soaking in the relax atmosphere of a Basque mountain village to finally reach The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and enjoy a moment of reflexion while listening to gregorian chants. Ainhoa is also a perfect place to discover the meaning of Basque Indiano House and observe some great examples of it.
Duration: 20 minutes
Pass By: Elizondo, Elizondo, Navarra
At the end of the day, you’ll be chauffeured back to San Sebastian crossing the border with Spain as the smugglers did back in the day. You will enjoy the Navarran landscape, having experienced the quintessence of French Basque Countryside!
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up available also from different locations - please ask for details!Please wait in the hotel lobby 10 minutes before your scheduled pickup time.
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Wheelchair accessibility is extra paid - contact for details
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Our vehicles and offices are cleaned and disinfected in accordance with the cleaning and disinfection protocol certified by the Institute for Spanish Tourism Quality (ICTE). We also use an ozone air purification treatment in our vehicles before every tour.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.