Veliky Novgorod City Private Walking Tour
This city walking tour will give you an opportunity to visit the historical part of Veliky Novgorod.
During this tour you will visit the Kremlin which is the heart of the town. There you will see the famous Cathedral of St. Sophia – the monument of the 11th century - with its miracle making icon. You will also be shown around Yaroslav's Court (Yaroslavovo Dvorische) and the old Market-place.
• Guaranteed skip-the-line entrance
per adult from
What's included :
- English speaking guide service
- Guaranteed skip-the-line entrance
- Entry/Admission - Novgorod Kremlin (Detinets)
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Personal expenses
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Novgorod Kremlin (Detinets), Sofiyskaya Storona, Veliky Novgorod Russia
During this tour you will visit the Kremlin which is the heart of the town.
Founded by Prince Yaroslav of Novgorod, the Kremlin, or Detinets, as it was called in Novgorod, is the oldest surviving Kremlin in Russia. It was first mentioned in the annals of 1044. The Kremlin was the administrative, social and religious center of Novgorod. Here, the veche, the election of the mayor, took place, the squad of Alexander Nevsky, the Sofia Cathedral and the residence of the Novgorod lord defended the Swedes against the Swedes. It was in the Kremlin that the annals were conducted, the books were collected and rewritten.
Beautiful in any weather, the Kremlin seems to hover above modern buildings. Today the Kremlin is a cultural and tourist center. Here are the main expositions of the Novgorod Museum-Reserve, restoration workshops, a library, a philharmonic society, an art school, an art and music school.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: St. Sophia Cathedral, Kremlin, 11, Veliky Novgorod 173007 Russia
St. Sophia’s cathedral, based on the design for the St. Sophia cathedral in Kiev (which is a Slavic version of the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul), is one of the oldest stone buildings in Russia. Built in 1045 by Prince Vladimir it has been completely renovated on the outside and most of the frescoes on the inside have also been restored many times over the years. The huge iconostasis, one of the biggest in Russia, dates back to the 15th Century. The cathedral’s most important relic, the icon of the sign of the Holy Virgin was made in the 12th Century and became a famous symbol of Novgorod when it miraculously helped the people of the city fend off an invasion by the Suzdalians.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Yaroslav Courtyard (Dvorishche), Torgovaya Storona, Veliky Novgorod Russia
Not much is left now of what was once a magnificent palace and market place built by Yaroslav the wise in the early 11th Century. The white arcades next to the river overlooking the Kremlin represent the area where the market place once stood that surrounded the palace, which was destroyed centuries ago. Behind this there are various churches filled with yet more icons and pieces of frescoes. The most interesting building here is probably the gate tower of the old market place which houses a small exhibition dedicated to religious metal works - crosses, amulets, goblets and so on - from the whole of the past millennium.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Veliky Novgorod, Novgorod Oblast, Russia
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Duration of the excursion is approximate and may vary according to local conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.