Venice: Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries Tours
• Go through the rooms and chambers of the Doge’s palace
• Skip-the-line to Doge’s Palace and Embark on a 1.5-hour tour with a professional experienced
• Hear interesting facts about Venice's past council, political history, institutional bodies deputed to government and justice of the Venice Republic
Enjoy Skip-the-line to explore one of the most iconic buildings in Venice. The Secret Itinerary through the Doge’s Palace covers the rooms and chambers where the delicate work of some of the most important bodies in the Venetian administration was carried out. The tour offers an interesting insight into the civil and political history of the city, its public organizations and the administration of justice.
per adult from
1 hour 30 minutes
What's included :
- Official certified guide
- Radio system to hear the guide
- Skip the Line access to the Doge's Palace
- Tickets and Reservations
- Entry/Admission - Doge's Palace
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Doge's Palace, Piazza San Marco, 1, 30124 Venice Italy
Join the guided group tour which starts at winged lion column at the Saint Mark's Square and enters from the large and bright courtyard of Palazzo Ducale, rich in precious marble decorations, going through a narrow door on the ground floor, you’ll find yourself in the Pozzi (wells).
The guide will explain you the places of detention, consisting of small wet cells, barely lit by oil lamps, ventilated only through round holes in thick stone walls and closed in by locked doors with solid bolts. You’ll see the cells and some writings and some drawings on the walls as you can almost imagine and feel despair and the desire for freedom of the prisoners. Next, through a narrow staircase, you’ll visit the two small rooms of the Ducal Notary and the Deputato alla Segreta, important officers of the institutional machinery.
These interconnected rooms lead to a Square Atrium.
The guide will then lead you to a large and beautiful Chamber of the Secret Chancellery, whose walls are lined with cabinets containing public and secret documents relating to the work of most of the Venetian magistrate. Passing through the small room of the Deputy to the Chancellery one comes to the Torture Chamber, also known as the Chamber of Torment; this disturbing place is linked directly with the Prisons. The guide will explain how torture was practiced in Venice and in which century it was abolished.
You’ll continue to the Piombi From the Torture Chamber. These cells were used exclusively for the prisoners of the Council of Ten, either those accused of political crimes, those awaiting sentence or those serving short prison terms. You’ll understand why Piombi is in much better conditions than those in the Pozzi, the terrible cells on the ground floor of the Doge’s Palace.
From the Piombi you pass directly under the roof to the attic located at the corner of the building between the waterfront and canal–side facades. Inside it has cabinets that contain a number of weapons, most of the 16th century. From this attic, two long flights of stairs bring one to the Chamber of the Inquisitors, a much-feared magistrate that was set up in 1539 to protect state secrets.
Before the tour ends, the guide will reveal stories of the council, political history, institutional bodies deputed to government and justice of the Venice Republic.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Departure Point :St. Mark's Square, Piazza San Marco, 30124 Venezia VE, Italy
Departure Time :10:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs and strollers cannot be accommodated on this tour. All customers must be able to autonomously walk, climb and get off the steps.
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes as there is a moderate amount of walking involved
- Due to recent safety concerns, some lines to enter the Doge's Palace may occur even for skip-the-line ticket holders
- The tour does not operate in case of exceptional high tide or in case of religious functions (in these cases it can be rearranged or refunded)
- For security reasons sacks, bags or knapsacks are not allowed inside the Palace
- Please note that the tour requires a minimum number of guests to run
- Please note that if you arrive after the tour start time you will not be able to join and will not be refunded or have your tour rescheduled
- There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements, in the event of this occurring you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Please note that customers suffering from claustrophobia, vertigo of cardio-respiratory disorders, pregnant women and Children under 6 are not allowed on this tour.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.