Visit Scattery Island departing Kilrush. Clare. Guided. 1 ½ -3 ½ hour options.
Enjoy a scenic ferry journey through the Shannon river estuary.
Walk the paths of saints & scholars on a guided tour of Scattery Island’s monastic ruins.
See 5th century ruins of churches, a cathedral and an imposing round tower.
At the visitor centre learn about island life over the centuries.
Walk to see the island’s Napoleonic artillery battery and a working lighthouse.
per adult from
90 to 210 minutes
What's included :
- Return ferry tickets to Scattery island from Kilrush marina.
- Guided walking tour of Scattery Island’s monastic sites.
- Free audio guide of the Monastic Tour available in German, French, Italian or Spanish.
- Walking map with site information provided.
- Entrance to Scattery Island visitor centre.
- Tea or coffee on board the return ferry.
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Scattery Island, Kilrush Marina Merchants Quay Shannon Estuary, Kilrush Ireland
Enjoy the experience of the marina’s locke gates as we exit into the sheltered waters of the Shannon Estuary. The scenic short sailing to the island takes you past the picturesque village of Cappa and the smaller Hog Island.
Once on the island, you are greeted by our tour guide who will take you on a fascinating walking tour of the monastic sites, learn about St. Senan’s brave battle against the serpent Cathagh and his creation of the monastic settlement dating back to the early 5th century, featuring five churches, a cathedral and an imposing round tower. Visit the exhibition at the visitor centre and learn more about island life over the centuries.
If time allows, take an optional self-guided walk on the old path to see the Napoleonic artillery battery and a working lighthouse or choose to sit and relax outside the island’s visitor centre and enjoy the gentle sounds of the lapping tide and the island’s birdlife.
This tour is also available as a private experience.
Duration: 1 hour
Departure Point :Kilrush Marina, Merchants Quay, Cappagh, Kilrush, Co. Clare, Ireland
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- It is highly recommended to wear correctly fitting life jackets when on or close water.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.