Visit the Old Town (one of the World Heritage Sites)
Come see Santiago's Old Town, which is the birthplace of Cape Verdeanity. It is also the toponym of what was once the old city of Ribeira Grande, which was the capital of the Cape Verde archipelago for some centuries. It was the first city that the Portuguese had in Africa, in their adventure of discoveries. Hence it is a mandatory reference in the historical context of the islands of Cape Verde. Only the ruins that sadly lean over the archipelago's eternal blue sea remain, and they sleep under the weight of years of men's oblivion, and their visit had a driver with years of experience who will ensure that their journey is of quality, comfort and safety. .
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- All Fees and Taxes
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Bottled water
- Entry/Admission - Fortaleza Real de San Felipe
- Entry/Admission - Se Catedral
- Entry/Admission - Igreja Nossa Senhora do Rosario
- Entry/Admission - Pelourinho
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Fortaleza Real de San Felipe, Rua de Forteleza, Cidade Velha, Santiago 7629 Cape Verde
The Fortress of S. Filipe, one of the great historical monuments of the city of Ribeira Grande is the testimony of the Portuguese presence in these islands. It was built after Drake's attack. in 1585. The city was garrisoned from this fort, whose construction would have started in 1593. Another historical monument that the visitor can observe in the city of Ribeira Grande is the pillory erected a few centuries ago in the square of the city. Here the slaves were beaten. It is the most vivid memory of the Slavonic era in Cape Verde.
According to some historians, Ribeira Grande never had the development corresponding to the category of City. However, for convenience, King D. João III decided to propose the creation of the Diocese of Cape Verde. The aim was to facilitate the ordination of native priests as well as to better coordinate the task of evangelizing the African coast, from which many free men came to Christianize.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Se Catedral, Einfahrtsstrasse von Praia nach Cidade Velha, Cidade Velha, Santiago 7629 Cape Verde
Its Se Cathedral, the first that the Portuguese erected on the black continent, is today in ruins. However, the little that remains is being preserved in order to prevent important references from disappearing from Cape Verde, and in particular from Santiago, the mother island of ancient Cape Verdean culture due to its geo-strategic position, midway between the African continent, Europe, the Americas and the East, early the Cape Verdean archipelago was called upon to play a pivotal role in the framework of trade in slave trade and the supply of ships in fresh and water. These factors contributed to make Ribeira Grande quickly become a commercial center of some projection and hence, in 1533, it was erected in Cidade.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Igreja Nossa Senhora do Rosario, Rua Banana, Cidade Velha, Santiago 7629 Cape Verde
The Church of Our Lady of the Rosary, now a historical heritage site, was built around 1495. It is one of the oldest temples on the island of Santiago and Cape Verde. In this Church he preached Father António Vieira in 1652, passing to Brazil from Portugal. What surprised the great Portuguese speaker at the time was the fact that he found clergymen and canons gifted with wisdom, who he said envied the best in the Kingdom.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Pelourinho, Hauptplatz, Cidade Velha, Santiago 7629 Cape Verde
Pelourinho is an important monument in the city of Cidade Velha, in the south of Santiago, Cape Verde. The historic center of the Old Town has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since June 2009. It is a Manueline-style white marble column set in the city's main square. It was a symbol of municipal power and slavery was where rebel slaves were publicly punished in the Pillory.
Built in 1512 or 1520, it is one of the oldest monuments in Cape Verde. It was restored in the late 1960s.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
We are looking for you anywhere in Santiago Island, it can be at Nelson Mandela Beach Int. Airport, at any hotels on the island or even at Praia City Port, also in private or residential homes.Airports
- Francisco Mendes Airport, Praia, Santiago Cape Verde
- Porto da Praia
Departure Time :Suppliers and travelers coordinate start times within the given time periods. 10/27/2019 - 10/21/2021
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 AM - 11:30 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- > Employees with weekly tests.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.