Walking Reserve Curi-Cancha
Walk along beautiful natural trails with an experienced guide and see different species of birds and mammals. Learn about the amazing diversity of the cloud forest.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Local taxes
- Bottled water
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-of
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (if option selected)
What's excluded :
- In 1970 the Lowther family bought the property of Hubert and Mildred Mendenhall and called it Curi-Cancha, the name derives from "gold enclosure" in Inca. At that time the property was about half pastures and half jungle or virgin tropical forest. In the next 45 years the Lowthers did not clear any areas and THIS allowed most of the pasture areas to be restored to the forest.
In 1997, thanks to the effort of Julia Lowther, the property was legally designated as Wildlife Refuge under the MINAE and in 2011 Curi-Cancha Reservation opened the tourists in their current form.
Curi-Cancha Reserva is located in the Arenal-Tempisque Conservation Area in the heart of Monteverde. Protects 83 hectares (205 acres) of 50% virgin forest, 45% secondary growth, and 5% open pasture. The altitude ranges from 1,450 meters to 1,615 meters, with 40% less montane montane forest and 60% pre-montane humid forest. Seven kilometers of nature trails allow visitors to explore the flora and fauna of the cloud forest.
Curi-Cancha is a paradise for birdwatchers.
The Quetzal, Three Wattled Bellbird, Momotus Momota, Orange Belly Trogon, and many others are seen frequently. In fact, more than 200 species of birds have been observed to make their home in Curi-Cancha. Frequent sighted mammals include armadillos, coatis, agouti, cuchi cuchi, ocelot, two-toed sloth, and three species of monkeys: howler, white-faced capuchin, and spider monkey.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.