Walking Tour of US Capitol Exterior
Join the US Capitol Historical Society’s staff and trained volunteers for a walk around the outside of the Capitol building, providing anecdotes and perspectives about Congress, the origin and construction of the Capitol building, and the meaning of the democratic form of government.
per adult from
What's included :
What's excluded :
- Learn why it took nearly 40 years to build the original Capitol building and why it has been continually enlarged. Enjoy stories told of famous incidents and crucial events that have taken place inside. Hear about the daily activities that occur in and around the building as well as the history and purpose of the buildings that make up the Capitol complex.
• The Senate Park Commission and the City Beautiful movement’s effect in the nation’s capital
• The concept of a Capitol
• The Capitol complex today
• Choosing the site
• Construction history
• The Senate extension
• The Capitol Grounds
• The plan of the city
• The original sandstone building: Senate wing, Library of Congress, Rotunda, House wing
• Constructing the extensions and dome
• The House extension
• Dome and the Statue of Freedom
• How to tour the public areas of the interior and see the Houses of Congress in session
• Contacting your Congresspeople and Senators
• Where to have lunch
• Other sights to see and tour nearby
The guide will also be available after the tour to answer questions.
Departure Point :These tours will begin at Garfield Circle at the bus dropoff location for the Capitol Grounds, 1st Street and Maryland Avenue SW, Washington DC.
Departure Time :7:00 PM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Organised by US Capitol Historical Society