West MacDonnell Ranges Day Trip from Alice Springs
Experience the magnificent grandeur of the West MacDonnell Ranges on this fascinating one day tour.
Marvel at towering fiery red walls set aglow by the desert sun as you drive along the ranges.
We tour through these amazing ranges all day and stop at beautiful gorges and waterholes, where we can enjoy a refreshing swim in the warmer months.
Don’t forget your camera! Every moment of this memorable one day tour is worth capturing.
Ellery Creek Bighole
Optional swim at Ellery Creek Bighole (summer only)
All activities are considered very safe for all age groups. They do not require a high level of fitness or agility.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Morning Tea
- Fresh Buffet Lunch
- Accommodation pick-up and drop-off
- Experienced, friendly tour guide
- Air-conditioned transport
- Entry fee to Standley Chasm
- Entry/Admission - MacDonnell Ranges
What's excluded :
- Sunset camel ride (AU$70, payable direct)
- Entry/Admission - Pyndan Camel Tracks Alice Springs
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: MacDonnell Ranges, West MacDonnell National Park, Northern Territory Australia
After pickup at your Alice Springs hotel, set off with your guide and small group into West MacDonnell National Park to begin your exploration of the area’s many natural attractions. Throughout the day, your knowledgeable guide shares informative commentary about the natural and cultural history to the region.
Stop At: Simpsons Gap, Burt Plain NT 0872, Australia
Start with a scenic walk at Simpsons Gap, one of the most renowned gaps in the West MacDonnell Ranges. Follow a riverbed to a natural rock amphitheater while looking for endangered black-footed rock wallabies that hop among the boulders.
Stop At: Standley Chasm Angkerle, Larapinta Drive, West MacDonnell National Park, Northern Territory 0872 Australia
Then admire the tall rock walls of Standley Chasm as you stroll through trees that line the tracks including acacias, cycads, ghost gums and cypress pines. Have morning tea at Standley Chasm before heading to your next destination, the Ochre Pits.
Stop At: Ochre Pits, Burt Plain, Northern Territory Australia
A short path leads to rock walls that are covered with white, yellow and red layers of ochre. Be sure to bring your camera to snap photos of the shifting hues. Considered a sacred site for the local Arrernte peoples, the ochre pits provided material traditionally used for ceremonies and trading.
Stop At: Ormiston Gorge, Namatjira Drive, West MacDonnell National Park, Northern Territory Australia
Further down the road, stop for a picnic lunch at Ormiston Gorge, which contains a semi-permanent waterhole. Look for waterbirds such as the Pacific heron and white-faced heron, both common visitors to the waterhole.
Stop At: Mount Sonder, Northern Territory Australia
Next, head to Mt Sonder lookout and admire the spectacular landscape including a towering sandstone wall and views of Mt Sonder, one of the highest points in Central Australia.
Stop At: Ellery Creek Big Hole, West MacDonnell National Park, Alice Springs, Northern Territory Australia
Continue to Ellery Creek Big Hole, a significant geological site and one of central Australia's most pristine waterholes and cool off with a swim.
Stop At: Pyndan Camel Tracks Alice Springs, Jane Rd, White Gums NT 0870, Australia
Your final stop takes you to Pyndan Camel Tracks. You can also take an optional sunset camel ride (October to March) soaking up the views of the MacDonnell Ranges atop your trusty humpbacked mode of transportation.
Stop At: Emu Run Experience - Day Tours, Alice Springs, Northern Territory 0871 Australia
Your guide returns you to your Alice Springs hotel to end the tour.
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Please call to confirm pickup time prior to tour date. Kindly allow 15 mins for the bus to arrive.
Departure Time :7:45 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please wear strong, non-slip walking shoes
- Please bring hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, water bottle and swimwear during the summer months
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 31 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 4 and 30 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.