Winston Churchill Experience - Churchill War Rooms and Chartwell House
A private and personalised tour from London
Explore the life and legacy of the great Sir Winston Churchill and his family. Visit his Private family home and art studio in the beautiful Kent Countryside. Then it will be back to London to visit the Cabinet War Rooms, the top secret Bunker deep underneath Westminster where Churchill and British officials plotted the route to allied victory. A non rushed and bespoke private tour with your personal guide and driver.
• See Churchill's Private Home and Beautiful Estate
• View original items and gifts belonging to him
• Visit the Art Studio and see priceless original paintings
• Soak up the atmosphere in Churchill's Oak beamed Tudor Study and Library
• Go deep into the Top Secret Cabinet War Rooms Bunker
• Understand Sir Winston's legacy in the Museum dedicated to his life.
• All this with a Private Driver and Guide at your pace.
per adult from
6 to 8 hours
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Transport by private vehicle
- Entry/Admission - Chartwell
- Entry/Admission - Churchill War Rooms
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Chartwell Mapleton Road, Westerham TN16 1PS England
Chartwell is approximately 1.5 hours from London. You will have a personal guide to show you around the House and Grounds. Hear the history of the estate and how Sir Winston Churchill came to buy the property without his wife's knowledge and then live here from 1922 until 1965.
Chartwell is a perfectly preserved time capsule containing all original items that belonged to the great man and his family. Winston Churchill once remarked "A day away from Chartwell is a day wasted"
Your guide will make sure you see all the interesting parts of the estate that highlight the personal side of Churchill and his family. The brick walls laid by Sir Winston himself, and the cottage he built for his daughter Mary. The sheer amount of water features on the estate show his great love for ponds, swimming pools and nature.
But of course behind this great man was a very special woman Clementine Churchill. Her Rose beds and flower Gardens are wonderfully maintained by the staff, and her touch is unmistakable throughout the house. Visitors can enjoy the new exhibition focusing on Clementine Churchill and will come away realising that with out Clementine history could have played out very differently.
The former guest rooms now contain a small museum displaying some of the gifts and honours given to Churchill. The adjoining rooms contain his personal Uniforms and favourite hats.
Your guide will be on hand to point out items of special interest, and answer any questions you have about the estate.
After spending as much time as you like in the house, it will be time to visit Sir Winston Churchill's Art Studio. A place of utmost importance to him. He took up painting at the age of 40, and painted over 500 paintings during his lifetime. Here you will learn about his life as a painter, and see more than 100 of his original paintings.
Chartwell is a special place, so for your visit make sure you are in safe hands with a guide that knows the estate inside out, and loves sharing his knowledge of Sir Winston Churchill's remarkable life.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Churchill War Rooms, King Charles Street, Clive Steps Westminster, London SW1A 2AQ England
In the late 1930's as war in Europe became increasingly likely, the British government decided that a secure meeting place for a War Cabinet was urgently needed. The cellars underneath the Treasury building in Whitehall were chosen. The bunker was ready for use in August 1939 just a few short weeks before War was declared.
In May 1940 Winston Churchill became British Prime minister and entering the Cabinet War Rooms declared "From these rooms I shall direct the war!" And he certainly did that.
Later as the USA entered the war, senior commanding officers, met with their British counterparts in the War Rooms to plan operations across the world. King George VI and the Queen even dined with Churchill in this top secret bunker.
This perfectly preserved time capsule was locked up in 1945 and lay undisturbed until 1984 when it was opened to the public.
Everything you see in these rooms is original. The Map room is particularly fascinating as looking closely you will notice thousands of tiny pin pricks that plotted convoy and troop positions across the globe.
You will learn the personal stories of the men and women who worked in the secret underground world for weeks on end with no natural light, and often cramped conditions.
The War rooms also contain a huge museum dedicated to the life and legacy of Sir Winston Churchill. Here you will see personal items belonging to Britain's greatest Prime Minister.
The well stocked gift shop contains a impressive range of WW2 books, souvenirs and probably the largest collection of Winston Churchill Biographies.
Enjoy the day at a relaxed pace with your own personal Driver and Guide dedicated to offering you a truly personal service. And then be taken back to your central London accommodation or landmark to enjoy your evening.
Duration: 2 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Any central London accomodation
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- All UK Government Safety guidelines and requirements at the time of travel will be followed during your tour.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.