Zipaquira Salt Cathedral and Guatavita Lagoon Daytrip from Bogota
Visit one of South America’s wonders, the Zipaquirá Salt Cathedral, and see the beautiful Lake Guatavita (Laguna de Guatavita) on this day trip from Bogotá! Explore the magnificent salt mine of Zipaquirá and see the famous cathedral up close. Then, visit Laguna de Guatavita, where the famous ‘el dorado’ legend originated, and see the Indigenous Cemetery and the Tominé Reservoir. If you’re looking for a fun outdoor activity, this is the perfect day trip for you!
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Expert guide in your language of preference
- Salt Cathedral and natural reserve entry tickets
- Entry/Admission - Catedral de Sal de Zipaquira
- Entry/Admission - Laguna de Guatavita
What's excluded :
- Optional tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Unspecified food and beverages
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Catedral de Sal de Zipaquira, Carrera 6 Calle 1 Parque De La Sal, Zipaquira Colombia
This full-day tour will take you to two places of interest located within Bogotá's savannah. Zipaquirá's Salt Cathedral; a majestic cathedral built inside of the largest salt-rock deposit on earth. Here you'll see the how Catholic symbology and contemporary engineering converged in the construction of this gigantic temple.
With materials from this former salt mine and using lighting effects, sculptors created innovative interpretations of the Catholic Via Crucis that you will be able to see throughout the cathedral. Here you will learn about the creative process and the symbology behind the sculptures.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Zipaquira, Zipaquira, Cundinamarca Department
After exiting the cathedral, you will head to Guatavita, passing through the colonial village of Zipaquirá, famous for its various buildings that were declared national monuments.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Laguna de Guatavita, Km 15, Via Guatavita-Sesquile, Tierra Negra Colombia
The second stop, Guatavita Lagoon, a mystical and sacred place for the Muiscas, will give you a glimpse of what Paramo ecosystem looks like while you learn about the famous legend of El Dorado, Muisca cosmology and its relation to the lagoon.
After a stop for lunch, you will be driven through a countryside road to Guatavita where the sacred lake hides among mountains and mist. Inside this natural reserve, you will learn about the connection that the ancient Muiscas had with nature. Moreover, you will understand the symbolism behind the gold offerings that awoke the gold rush of Spanish treasure hunters.
Finally, after returning to Bogotá, you will be taken to your hotel or to any other point of your convenience.
Duration: 3 hours
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Pick up service from Bogotá Hotels /Accommodations. Please enter your pick up details.* Note: pick-up from other towns have an additional cost (including but not limited to Chía, Cota, Funza, Mosquera, La Calera). Please contact us to arrange it.
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- We recommend wearing comfortable clothes and shoes.
- A medium-high amount of walking is involved; you must be of average fitness and able to walk
- Guatavita Lake is closed on Mondays (or Tuesdays if Monday is a bank holiday).
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Changes on the tour may occur due to external factors.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.